Founded in 1974 by Leonard Bierbrier, Bierbrier Development began as a commercial brokerage firm with its first lease totaling a humble 800 SF. Over the course of 40 years, Bierbrier Development has grown into one of Greater Boston’s most competitive retail real estate development firms, owning and managing a diverse portfolio valued at approximately $150,000,000 in many of Eastern Massachusetts’ most desirable retail markets.
As a commercial broker, Bierbrier’s first lease was for an 800 SF convenience store in Roslindale Square, MA. Growing over the course of several years, Bierbrier represented national clients such as W.R Grace, Pathmark and Evans Products, with its final lease transaction a 65,000 SF Built-to-Suit Development for IBM in Providence, Rhode Island.
Bierbrier Development purchased a 3.4 acre site in Medford at the corner of Route 28 and 16 leased to a Howard Johnson restaurant built in 1938 and the first Paine Furniture suburban store built in 1947. Bierbrier added a 22,000 SF strip center to the site and repositioned the two story Paine building as a multi-tenant building, renaming the shopping center Wellington Circle Plaza. Read More:
Bierbrier purchased a contaminated site located on Main Street, Peabody, close to Peabody Square, which it developed into a two story, 25,000 SF retail plaza. This building was fully tenanted with local small stores, and sold on completion
Walgreens Plaza was developed as a 21,000 SF retail strip center located on Route 125 in Haverhill. Originally built vertical to the street, Bierbrier later redeveloped the site and grew the leasable area to 33,620 SF. Read More:
Bierbrier Development won the bid for the acquisition and development of a parcel of land owned by the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA) located at 1398 Massachusetts Ave in Arlington Heights, MA and built a 12,500 SF streetscape shopping village. Read More:
Bierbrier Development assembled three parcels of land located on Route 28 in Brockton which it rezoned and built a free-standing 65,425 SF Super Stop & Shop Market with adjacent gas station. Read more:
Demolishing the existing Howard Johnson restaurant, Bierbrier Development built a 10,125 SF CVS Pharmacy with drive thru increasing GLA to 55,000 SF. Internal traffic and circulation were improved, the number of access points increased to five and the exterior façade replaced.
Walgreens Plaza, originally built as a 21,000 SF retail strip center facing vertical to the street, was demolished and with the acquisition or an adjacent parcel of land, Bierbrier built a new center to face horizontal on the street, anchored by a new 14,800 SF Walgreens prototype with drive thru, increasing the GLA to 33,620 SF. Read More:
Bierbrier Development assembled several parcels of land on Needham Street in Newton to develop a 19,200 SF best-in-class service and convenience shopping center based on a 'village retail' concept.
Bierbrier Development successfully refinanced the 65,000 SF Montello Plaza through Blue Hills Bank for $14,000,000
Bierbrier Development secured a loan from Commerce Bank of Worcester for $11,300,000 for the construction of Needham Street Village Shops in Newton.
Click here to view the Press Release “Fortitude at 40”
Bierbrier Development successfully refinanced Wellington Circle Plaza in Medford through Bank of America for $22.8 million. Read more
Competing against several private institutions and NYSE, REITs, Bierbrier Development was successful in winning the bid to acquire South Shore Place, a 45,000 SF regional strip center located on Route 37 across from the five department store South Shore Plaza in Braintree.
Bierbrier Development has successfully completed its disposition of Montello Plaza, a 64,500 SF Super Stop & Shop Market and Gas Station located at the intersection of Route 28 and Route 37 serving the community on the north side of Brockton. The property was sold to VEREIT, successor to American Realty Capital, a national REIT specializing in the acquisition of commercial real estate (NYSE: VER ) for $18,742,000.